Friday 20 April 2012

Egg custard wars.. !

Hey, did you know I'm doing the GREAT SUPERMARKET EGG CUSTARD CAKE OFF!? I love a bought egg custard, you know the ones with pastry on the outside and nutmeg sprinkled on the top. It was one of my treats the day before I got married. Yes, I know that's a funny memory but it's true. I made my bouquets and ate a whole Taylor's large egg custard. Surprised I could fit into 'the dress' but I did. Anyway, back to more recent custard memories. For some strange reason that I can't explain, the Waitrose custards that you get in the coffee stop are different to the ones in the restaurant and the ones you can buy in store. Yes, I know it's crazy but it's true. So when I want a custard I have to go and have a coffee. Easy...

Anyway, sorry Waitrose but you've been custard-umped by a much better tasting, lighter pastry, more eggy version from.. ASDA! Okay, if you know me you'll be asking why I was in Asda. I ask myself the same question and found the answer. It's cheap as chips, okay the residents are a bit chavvvy but there are some diamonds there too. And their egg custards are the BEST!

I was wandering the aisles today, as you do, and I had to ask a guy to move so I could get my hands on the Original Source lemon shower gel at £1. I only buy it when it's a pound because it's fabulous and I won't pay any more for it :) anyway back to my little story..., I said 'the lemon is the best' and he said, holding a new season strawberry version in his hand 'I am not sure if strawberry is a good idea'. To which I replied 'it looks more like something you'd eat'. He smiled and said 'I agree' and not one to leave it at that I chirped... 'Depends who you're having a shower with.. '.. the grin on his face reached from aisle 4 to aisle 24.. At this point and thinking that he looked about 34, I made a hasty retreat with my trolly laden with egg custards and my 'bake in the bag' salmon with roasted red tomato and basil butter for my supper :)

No comments: