Friday 12 November 2010

The Magic of Motown


It's rare to go to any concert where I know nearly all the words - it must be an age thing! I was in Birmingham Alex theatre tonight with Fi, Rob, Mick, Nick and Eileen for the 50th celebration of Motown called 'The Magic of Motown'. I wasn't quite sure what to expect but I've always loved Tamla Motown and soul music so I knew I'd enjoy it. Rob said I would and that's good enough for me! Well, I didn't really enjoy it.. I absolutely loved it and we all had a fab night - the whole evening was MAGIC!

Front man, Roy G Hemmings, former member of the drifters, was brilliant, a real showman. He was the glue that stuck all the other acts together. I loved the variety. The 3 girls, The Love Supremes sang all those wonderful hits including Baby Love. The Tops & Tempts sang some brilliant numbers including 'My Girl' and they were accompanied by a 6-piece band under the direction of saxophonist Anna Brooks (my she's got a good set of lungs!) They got us up in our seats clapping and dancing and I'd certainly go and see them again!

No comments: