Sunday 23 November 2008

I love great quotes!

I appreciate that quote are very personal. What inspires and moves one person, will turn another person to stone. I was sitting this morning browsing around the site 'lovefilms' to create my "wishlist" of delicious dvd entertainment when I came across this great quote. There I was just enjoying the short clip of film when "ZAP".. it was like one of those lightening moments of inspiration. Have you ever had those? When you hear or see something that triggers a reaction in your brain. It's like igniting a spark that is powerful enough to light up a room. Okay, I've lost you now, perhaps it's just a 'me-thing'. Anyway, this quote is from the film "What a girl wants" and it has just stuck in my mind ever since.
Why are you trying so hard to fit in, you’re born to stand out
As humans, we love to belong to something, anything, someone, because we are essentially sociable creatures. Those who yearn for solitude are quite rare and their behaviour is fundamentally extreme. We are all guilty of changing our behaviour to 'fit in'. We've all done it and turned into someone we don't recognise. it's a fact that over time we may discover that we don't recognise ourselves any more if we continually strive to align ourselves with others. Great people have one thing in common, they stand out from the crowd. Some do it for the sheer greatness, the fame, the glamour and the notoriety. Others are more humble and stand out for more noble reasons. My very wise mother says "moderation in all things" which is such a sound piece of advice. It doesn't mean be a blancmange of a person and sit on the fence. It doesn't mean be indecisive and have no opinions of your own. To me, it means set your goals, reach for the stars, stand out from the crowd but with respect for everyone you meet. Some people will look up to you to learn from you. Others will look down on you and they aren't worth the time or effort. Stand out from the crowd and be yourself. Most important of all believe in treating people right, being happy, smiling through all life's challenges and never be happy with 'average'. I'm off to check those school reports.. ;-) x

No comments: