Wednesday 4 August 2010

It comes in a pot but it's not a plant!

Have a guess what it might be? Tea? Cream? Yoghurt? Nah... it was a shaker salad silly! Problem was that I got so excited about my new style salad that I'd tipped it out onto the plate before I had realised I needed to shake it. No worries. I ate the salad, ate the dressing then jumped up and down. That did the trick! I do have a photo but I'm in a can't be bothered kinda mood - as you'll find out. (updated now of course!)
Life is a blooming BIG H for hectic right now. My work/life balance has gone right out of the window. My life is filled with long days starting before 7am and not ending much before midnight. Big fat work fills 12 hours of that time, sleep just under 7, which doesn't leave much time for party girl. Every night I get into bed and start to read my new book. I read two pages before I am too tired to read any more. And this includes the page from last night that I have to read again to remind me of the plot. With over 200 pages, it's going to take me months to get to the last chapter at this rate. I need a BIG H for holiday, then I'll have plenty of time for reading.
August is a funny old month. Lots of people are away, the roads are quieter, not many meetings and life seems more about money than love right now. The more pressure people are under the harder they try and the more miserable they become. Tempers get shorter, egos get bigger and I have to find a broader smile, a tougher shell or a larger bat! Don't you think that the world is so much nicer when people smile? I smiled at the security guard today, always do and he always smiles back. I chatted to the sales assistant when I was buying my shaker salad and she was happy to chat back. A new girl came into the office today and she made everyone around her happier. I'm sure she had no idea of the effect she had on everyone but I had noticed. I hope she comes in again.
I used to enjoy mail but I haven't found much in my inbox to smile about this week - with the exception of a few lovely emails from my family and friends - thank you! My postbox is pretty much the same - dull, infuriating, attention-seeking mail. It feels like once the balance starts shifting, it effects more than just my work and home life. "Me-time" slips down the list, eating becomes like a fast, drive-by experience and other stuff that I don't like starts dropping on my head like bird poo! At least the earth isn't moving like it did last week - yes, the sofa did move and yes, it was an earthquake. I swear it was even though Jack said it couldn't have been much stronger than a 4.something because he didn't get a "tweet" about it!
The best bit of my week so far has been a walk to the Weighbridge Inn on Monday after work. I needed to feel the fresh air on my face and put one foot in front of the other in the great outdoors. It was fab! I sat in the garden with my pie and a glass of Prosecco and read the Times. My life is about contrasts right now and it's the little things that fill me with joy.
Tonight I drove home with the top of my car open listening to Alicia Keyes very loud. I'm not sure whether other cars on the M32 could hear me but I'm sure they couldn't. I needed to feel alive and blow the cobwebs away after sitting at my desk for most of the day. First in, last out is never a good place to be. It just feels wrong. Scrambled egg with smoked salmon was my speedy dinner of choice this evening followed by 3 digestive biscuits - mmm, I ask myself, do I feel alive? Yes, I know how to live!
Anyway, the two pages of my new book are calling me and hey, I may even have time for 3 tonight.. woo hoo!

No comments: