Friday 26 December 2008

Christmas Baa Humbug!

If Santa doesn’t bring you the red Ferrari you’ve had your eye on all year or doesn’t sing ‘Diamonds are a girl’s best friend’ as he gleefully slides down the chimney with a ring and a rose between his teeth, it’s really not that bad. He’s just slightly preoccupied, ‘Ho ho ho’.

Some people set themselves up for a fall at Christmas. Others, like myself, have fewer expectations so when something untoward happens, I’m actually happier than most. My positive frame of mind always gets me through sticky situations, regardless of how challenging they might be!

I’m always surprised by what routes my life takes. The twists and turns give me a chance to learn even more about myself. Life is a journey of discovery and the more chances you have to learn, the more rounded a person you will be. Not that I’m going to be any where near ‘rounded’ this Christmas. It’s the leanest year ever for Christmas fare. No turkey dinner, no Xmas pud, not even a sausage on a stick! But that means I won’t spend the entire month of January trying to lose those extra few pounds. I will join the gym fat-free and have a head start on all those over-fed forty-somethings!!

2:20am, Christmas Eve, all is quiet and not even a mouse is stirring in my apartment. And the reason I know that is that I am not there! I am at the A&E department waiting for x-rays. See what I mean about expectations? You weren’t expecting that one! Going back into the office on Monday may have seemed like a good idea at the time. Unfortunately, not only did I pick up my Christmas cards and catch up on work, I also picked up a bug! My cough disturbed whatever mending my ribs had been doing these past two weeks and although I’ve never been stabbed (and don’t wish to be thank you!) I could only imagine this is what it feels like. Never one to grumble, not even a tiny winge, I do however know that when I start getting really upset with something or someone, it’s time to act.

By 6am, I had had two x-rays and the diagnosis was luckily, I don’t have any serious internal damage but I do have chest wall injuries and most likely fractured my ribs. So it is pain killers for me this Christmas, yippee!

My life is never that simple and my system doesn’t like drugs of any kind. It knows what it likes and kicks off when it doesn’t like what it gets. Oh what a Christmas Day I have had!! I’ll spare you the details, but as my friends decided I shouldn’t be alone in my own apartment, I found myself alone at Lisa’s apartment, she is staying with her parents. Needless to say I’ve had a quieter Christmas than a Church mouse. I was not well and in bed by 9:30pm.

So back to my expectations... A girl should expect the best and as my expectations for Christmas are reasonably realistic, I’m really not that disappointed. To be honest, I’ve had some cracking pressies including a Nintendo ds with brain training! How could a girl be unhappy with that?! I’ve had a beautiful charm bracelet, some delicious smellies, a gorgeous one of a kind necklace, so you won't catch me complaining. In a short while, with a bit of tlc, I will be fighting fit and my skydiving antics will be a thing of the past!

Then I’ll just have to find another way to get my thrills?! Roll on 2009!

No comments: