Tuesday 15 September 2009

Montpellier




Montpellier is such a gem of a city. I do wonder though, if I'm paying just £1 for my flights, who is paying for the rest?! The flight over was very busy and coming into land the plane suddenly pulled back sharp at the last minute and we went back up into the air. That's not a nice feeling, particularly as the ocean is just at the end of the runway. The pilot did another circuit before we landed safe and sound. It did feel as if he'd never landed a plane before and his excuse was that there was something on the runway - yikes! Anyway, my scary moment was soon forgotton as my bag arrived in double quick time and I went outside to meet my good friend, Rob.
Montpellier is one of France's best kept secrets. it's a cosmopolitan city where the sun shines all day long and the restaurants serve great food long into the night. I had a lot of time to shop and just wander along the narrow streets. We chose a different restaurant every evening, the funniest experience being on the Sunday night. Many of the restaurants are very close together so it was an easy mistake to make to read off the wrong menu. It was on a blackboard between the two restaurants and it's hard enough being entirely in French with all the different menu options. Spookily, I managed to order both my starter and main before the waiter realised those exact dishes weren't on his menu! Thankfully, the couple on the next table talked us through the menu and gave our order to the waiter, who seemed terribly confused. Dinner was delicious, in fact every meal was a culinary adventure. I don't think I've ever ordered anything in France, other than a salad, that hasn't surprised me. It never looks as I imagine it will but it always tastes delicious. My highlight was the lasagne which was absolutely scrummy, enormous too. Thankfully, Rob can hoover up anything I don't eat, which is perfect for a girl who'd rather not have an expanding waistline. I think MP is a place I'll keep coming back to because it has so much to offer but for now, I had a great break from work so it's "Au Revoir MP!"

No comments: