Wednesday 17 February 2010

Etretat adventures...



I've broken a rule... 'no boys on the blog'... just because I've had such a great time in Etretat with Nick. We drove to Folkestone, took the tunnel which is so easy, and 170 miles later we arrived in Etretat on the north French coast. We took over an hour to find Jon's house, which turned out to be a hidden gem amongst the many hotels in this small town. I was a bit nervous going through a small gate into what is Jon's garden. We found the back door open and no one around and you could tell by the look on my face that I wasn't quite sure where we had come to... but... and there's always a but.. I needn't have worried. We were shown into our apartment, which was a lovely sitting room, very warm modern bathroom with an enormous shower and a decent sized bedroom - fantastic! Jardin Gorbeau is a true hidden gem. Jon, the host, made us feel so welcome and being there for such a short time, it was great to have his recommendations for dinner. Breakfast was one of those wonderful lazy French occasions that began after 9 and finished close to 11am - nothing like the UK! There were homemade yoghurts, a fabulous selection of breads, fresh coffee and I was spoilt for choice when it came to tea. No horrible Liptons here.. ! We walked up to the cliffs, though I had to stand well back because I don't do cliffs - but that's the nice part of being with someone who doesn't know... they accept and expect you to do things that you might not usually do. And, in some ways, it's good to question yourself and shed your old habits! I could take the credit for that phrase but brainy Nick has just chipped in with that one.. !


No comments: