Thursday 18 February 2010

My tussle with a mussel...

I wonder, are mussels like olives? Never liked them much because they just seemed rubbery, salty and uninteresting - a bit like my first experience of eating olives. I now love olives and have learned that there are so many different varieties, it's like choosing wine - some bottles are fantastic and others are just like vinegar! My new bf hadn't remembered that I wasn't a fan of mussels so when he rocked up from Sainsbury's with stuff for dinner with the words.. 'I've got a surprise'... a great big boil-in-the-bag box of mussels in white wine sauce with 'erbs'.. I too was surprised! I like people who are passionate about great food because I am too. Their enthusiasm is infectious and food that I may have tried once and dismissed, is given a second chance. I'm constantly surprised at how many different varieties of olives there are and have to say, my mussel experience was similar. These were soft, a bit like having salmon in a shell, and the sauce was delicious. So much so that I was offered more, I liked them so much. I am now a mussel convert after my tussel with a mussel, or two!

No comments: