Thursday 4 August 2011

How to outsmart a cat.. !

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not a big cat lover. I blame it on the fact that I used to have a recurring dream of a cat sitting at the top of the stairs at Brookfield rd where I lived as a child. It could have been the shadowy shape of the plastic daffs which my mum got free with soap powder, well that's what she told me. Whatever the reason, I never had a reason to want one as a pet. Now I'm allergic to them so I don't go out of my way to stroke them for obvious reasons. Tonight I left the house to find not one, but two cats on my front doorstep. I ignored them as I usually do but as I got into my car I noticed this black beauty (I'm being sarcastic!) right on front step playing with something. I went to look and sure enough, he was hassling a poor little dormouse and chasing him round the drainpipe with his paw. Now I was annoyed... ! I shooed blackie away and although she wasn't harmed, I could see she was frightened and very confused. Wouldn't we be too?! When you consider the size of a cat compared to a humble little dormouse, it's like me being pawed by a juggernaut!
I knew that I couldn't leave my frightened little dormouse on the step so I went to my car, took out an empty plastic water bottle and managed to persuad little mousie to climb inside. Don't worry, it was a smoothie bottle with a big neck and plenty of room inside! I gently screwed on the lid so she wouldn't drop out and hastily popped her onto the passenger seat and drove away. Aware that my little dormouse wouldn't survive with the lid on for long, I drove down the hill to the car park beside the garden centre. My plan so far was working a treat :) I unscrewed the top and my little dormouse slid out onto the grass.
She did seem pretty pleased with her new surroundings and although she may have been thinking "Blimey, am I on holiday?!" I decided she had a much better chance of survival here that on my front doorstep. I went to the supermarket, bought food for supper, drove home and guess what.. stupid black cat was still sitting staring over the wall at my front door. So who said cats were clever, hey?!

No comments: