Wednesday 31 August 2011

Neighbours... !!

Do you have funny neighbours? By that I mean, funny, hilarious  neighbours? I certainly do! They're great, really they are and after the first meeting of our newly formed, in fact perfectly formed book club, I think we're going to get on like a house on fire! I came home from work expecting to have a leisurely hour at home before our first meeting. Oh no.. I arrive home to find a note through my door to say, the venue for the first meeting has changed and 'bring nibbles!'.. what??? Mmm, I could feel a neighbours Nigella challenge coming on... !! so I put my oven on, baked walnut and chocolate brownies, ha ha (in paper cases - don't try that at home!) and was ready to go.
I arrived at my neighbours house with my kindle (hidden inside my bag just in case it wasn't the PC thing to bring to a first book club meeting) and my box of 9 yummy brownies. Sadly, but not surprisingly, my lovely brownies had completely sunk in the paper cases - you'd need a spoon to get the gooey bits from the bottom. But hey, I knew they tasted amazing because I'd devoured two (i had to test them!) before I left the flat.
All I can say is that it was fun! Talk ranged from how to set up our new club to who was the oldest in the group. Of course it's not me!!
Neighbours are such a great source of good gossip. I learnt who was who, who wasn't with who any more and we all agreed that a book club was a great idea! Whether we'll get to talk about books much is another thing but at least we'll get a chance to catch up on neighbourly gossip and talk about 'stuff!'.
My neighbours have so far recommended the following books... 'How to be a woman' by Katlin Moran - this book will apparently change my life! And books by Louise Bagshaw, though I've looked these books up on my kindle and the titles range from 'Desire' to 'A Kept Woman' so it doesn't take a genius to guess the theme?!
Being the saintly, overly neighbourly, competitive book lover that I am.. I have already ordered a sample of our very first book 'Behind the scenes at the museum' by Kate Atkinson. That's the beauty of Kindle.. it's instant! I'm ever so slightly disappointed that, as everyone is away in October, I won't get to talk about it for two months so I won't be reading it just yet. But as I'll be the 'hostess with the mostess' for our next meeting number 2, I need to plan buying my wine, bake a more than delicious cake and then get reading.. !!

No comments: