Saturday 29 October 2011

Deepest, darkest Devon adventures

I'm here in deepest, darkest Devon and it's blooming chilly! I've come down for a fish course and to learn how to handle fish. I think, after the week I've had, I need a lesson in sharks, rather than just fish! I'm 'reeling' ha ha from my London adventures yesterday with the lovely Lisa. We had a fab time at the theatre. It was just the tonic I needed. We ate in a Persian restaurant, went to an extremely camp performance and between us, chatted about anything and everything until the world was back the right way up again.
We got back to Paddington in the evening in time to have a coffee before our train. I remember remarking on the fact that trains from Paddington are never delayed. That was my first mistake! Within five minutes, the status of our train had changed to delayed and it went downhill from then on. We finally caught our train and during the course of the journey it lost over 35 minutes. I also remember remarking on the fact that once... I had had to even catch a bus because the train wasn't running - yuk! So you can imagine my horror when pulling into Swindon and the guard remarked that there would be a bus journey for anyone who needed to travel to Kemble, Chelts or Glouc. At this point, myself and Lisa were in hysterics though Lisa had now warned me to keep quiet about any future incidents I might mention.
We stood on Swindon station for a while before, being the resourceful girls that we are, we went outside to the taxi rank and asked the taxi driver how much it would be to our destination. £40 or 5 x £8... which sounded a heck of a lot better than waiting for the mystery bus! Lisa persuaded the guy on the platform to announce that we were prepared to share our taxi and it wasn't long before we were on our way with our merry band of 3 other, on our way to Kemble station.
So we arrived back at mine and I ended up sleeping on the sofa whilst my guests all slept in my beds! I wouldn't have had it any other way :)
Today I've had a lazy day, spending the morning with Fi & Rob and driving down to Devon mid afternoon.

Why does everyone want to drive in the outside lane on a Friday afternoon?!!!

It's so frustrating but hey ho, sit there I do. And eventually... here I am, ready to chop, fillet and skin some poor defenceless little fishy and turn him into delicious culinary masterpieces. In less than 48 hours I will know my sole from my pollock and will have had a brilliant weekend - I'm going to make sure of that! Love to everyone who loves me xx xx

No comments: