Sunday 23 October 2011

Sweet onions with lentil stew

I took a photo but it looks a bit like mud, which really doesn't do this supper dish justice at all. I watched Nigel Slater make this dish this week and was so impressed that I decided to give it a go. I'm not a fan of lentils. It's not that I don't like them. I just don't use them to make dishes because I don't generally cook with beans and pulses. However,  it's a great week to say 'A change is as good as a rest' so here I am describing this tasty dish.
I am a big fan of Nigel Slater. I like his straightforward approach to cooking and every recipes of his that I've tried has always turned out well and most importantly, tastes absolutely delicious. This dish is very wholesome and includes pancetta, onions, carrots, mild paprika, lentils, stock cooked with spices that have the most delicious aroma, cinnamon and nutmeg. I bought a box of whole nutmegs so I could grate one into the bubbling mixture. Mmm, delicious and very comforting. I can't wait for the spices to seep into the dish overnight. I'll be serving this dish to my guests, along with some moussaka tomorrow, topping it off with 'mouth-watering, sweet caramelised onions and a dollop of creme fraiche! And I'm pretty hopeful that it will look, and definitely taste, more appetising than a bowl of mud!

No comments: