Wednesday 6 October 2010

Are women really that shallow.. and men that predictable?

Stuff happens to me. And maybe it happens to you too in which case you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. I took the lazy route home this evening because I was in a chilled mood. I listened to the end of Mr Blue's speech at the CP conference, pondered on the fact that my day could be split into 'what I need to do' and 'what I want to do' and then went to the supermarket. Three sausages in my shopping basket, two ripe figs and a piece of raspberry and amaretto pie and I was ready to go through the till before setting off for home. I drove up over the common and dawdled down the other side because the cows were in the road, again! My bing, bong "You're getting low in petrol bell" was binging its head off so I pootled out of Nailsworth and pulled onto the garage forecourt.
At this point I'm pretty oblivious to what's going on around me because I'm dreaming about my delicious dinner. I'm innocently filling my car with fuel when a guy, waiting to fill up behind a blooming great bus which is parked alongside decides he wants to chat with me. Now I'm always polite and don't mind stopping for a chat particularly because what else am I going to do for the 3 minutes it takes to fill up. People can reveal such a lot in the space of 3 minutes. I learnt that his ex has split from her boyfriend, he regularly uses this petrol station and bingo.. it's his birthday! You can guess what's coming next... yes, he asked me if I'd like to go on a date with him tonight. "I'm sorry I have a boyfriend" seemed the politest answer to give him to which he replied "He doesn't have to know!" - needless to say I batted that one back and got the question "Well can I ask..., is he on his way out by any chance?".. cheeky man or what! I left sniggering to myself and as I got home, I met my friend Ali. I told her my story and her first words were "How old was he and did he have a nice car?!"... which made me laugh. It's great to be back.. !

No comments: