Friday 15 October 2010

Look what I made..





Here's my gorgeous goatskin notebook, handmade by yours truly at a fabulous book binding workshop at the Cheltenham Literary Festival. I realised a bit too late that the festival was approaching so I sat with the catalogue and found a whole day of events to entertain me. I love trying new things and although book binding has never been at the top of my must-do list, I knew I'd enjoy learning a new skill. It was fascinating to discover how books used to be made and be given the chance to make one myself. All the materials were provided and just ooooozed quality. Beautifully dyed goatskin, smooth paper, strong linen thread and lots of concentration! Our lovely tutor, Sue Crossley gave us just the right amount of tuition, allowed us time and space to try out what she'd just demonstrated, it was just perfect. The right balance of challenges and new skills which we could put into practise and I'm so pleased with my new notebook, I can't tell you how happy it makes me :) after a challenging week, this was definitely one challenge I was happy to take on!

No comments: