Thursday 6 March 2008

Lemon drizzle my way...

I've baked a birthday cake but there's no one around to eat it, but me! Happy birthday to everybody whose birthday it is today... Ginger! I thought I'd share my recipe with you because it's more yummy than a yummy person's yummy bits! Don't just take my word for it.

Lemon Drizzle My Way
Ingredients
2 large fresh eggs
175g (6oz) caster sugar
150g (6oz) soft butter
Grated zest of 1 lemon
175g (6oz) sifted self-raising flour
4tbs milk
Half tsp vanilla essence
pinch of sea salt

For the lemon syrup
150g (5oz) caster sugar
50ml (2floz) juice from two freshly squeezed lemons

Method
Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Line the bottom of a well-greased loose-bottomed (cheeky!) 17cm circular tin with baking parchment. Remember, if you're talking to Ginger whilst you're doing this (as I was!) allow plenty of time for cutting out with one hand! I've just read the rest of the recipe and discovered that I didn't follow it at all, too busy talking! So, here's my version, which in my view is twice as tasty!

Cream the butter until soft by beating it with a wooden spoon in a mixing bowl. Yeah, I know it's old fashioned but it's much more satisfying than using an electric mixer and the good news is that it will help keep you fit at the same time! Don't be tempted to use margarine, you just won't get that lovely, buttery taste. Believe me, I've tried both and unless you prefer bought cake, buy good old fashioned salted butter for this recipe. I bought Somerfield English butter which says it's salted sweetcream butter. Works for me! Stir in the caster sugar and continue to beat until creamy. Add the eggs one at a time (very large super fresh eggs hand delivered from Trowbridge chuckaloos are the best!), the half spoonful of vanilla essence and beat. Fold in half the sifted flour, the salt, lemon zest and 4 tbs milk. Fold in the remaining flour. Avoid stirring too much now, unless you enjoy eating tough cake. Your mix should be very light and fluffy if you've done it right! I managed the first bits, (even breaking the eggs with one hand) whilst holding a phone conversation with the lovely Ginger, and I think the slapdash, laid back approach really does help!

Spoon into the tin and bake for 40 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven and leave to stand for 10 minutes. Now remove onto a cooling rack, or in my case as I don't seem to have one any more, slide the sides from the cake tin by standing the base on a mug!

To make the syrup, gently heat the sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan, stirring until the sugar has dissolved and the syrup is clear. Prick the warm cake all over with a cocktail stick, then spoon the syrup over the top. Leave to set and the cake to cool, then cut yourself a slice whilst it's still warm. Yummy... ! Now invite all your friends round for a slice, yeah right! I'm only joking... x

1 comment:

sharon said...

wow..is there any end to your creativity, you're right..cake looks deelish, enjoyed looking through your baby pics too.