Tuesday 28 October 2008

Spot the difference..?

You might be wondering why I'm asking this question? After an evening trying to master the art of painting violas, I was starting to wonder if I was on a Disney painting course! My dear sweet-faced violas looked more like Minnie Mouse Ears than pretty little flowers. Drastic action was needed. A few words with the tutor and she was sitting at my desk explaining what I should do.
VOILA success!
After a day of practice and hours of meticulous study, I now have 3 glorious violas painted to perfection. Not these, doh, they are a photograph ;-) I'll take a photo tomorrow. I have awarded myself 11 out of 10 for stickability! 5 out of 10 for my painting because there's always room for improvement. If I want to become a botanical artist then it's not going to happen over night. It's about practice, practice, practice. I always loved drawing and it's been great to get acquainted again with my 2B pencil. Watercolour is about technique and mastering the skills involved in watercolours is certainly a challenge. It's about colour, composition, creativity and lots of enthusiasm. I also have a desire to succeed which makes me very dogmatic in my approach. Even the tutor has commented on the way I've just persevered. I don't need a perfect painting. What I do need is to feel I'm improving and can succeed sometime in the future. This wonderful house is fabulous, it's more like a 4 star hotel. The food is amazing, homecooked and plentiful, the people can't do enough for you, the estate and house are very beautiful and it's just the perfect location for any course. It's the tiny touches that make the difference. Like the way the lights dim after I've switched them off in the studio, to give me time to get to the door to lock up. The bucket of very large umbrellas for you to use if it rains. And what happens when all the brollies have been taken back to the house on a rainy day? Someone refills the bucket again when it's stopped raining so you don't have to get wet. The towels in the bathroom are wonderfully white and fluffy and when I returned back to my bedroom this afternoon, the bowl was full of fruit. Not just a measly pear and a banana. An orange, apples, bananas, kiwis and pears! I'm going to book another course here asap because it's just fabulous, darlings!!

No comments: