Monday 31 May 2010

Thea Gilmore

She has an outstanding voice, has been invited to tour with Joan Baez, is most likely the most talented songwrite and singer of the last 10 years, yet not many people have heard of her. Thea Gilmore is sparky, songstress with bags of attitude. That single characteristic is most likely why she's not as famous as her counterparts such as Katie Melua. The time, Bank Holiday Monday at 9:45pm. The venue, a very unusual place at the back of Baskerville Hall. Nick never tires of finding live music to go and see and he chose carefully, knowing that I'm a lot more fussy than he is! He chose a real gem in Thea, though he'd seen her before (he's seen everyone!) so he knew what to expect. I always think it's hard to go to a concert and enjoy music you've never heard before. I've done it before and felt completely lost. It wasn't the case tonight. I found Thea's voice easy to listen to. It has a clarity to it and a passion that just leaves you wanting more. I'm sure I may not enjoy everything she's done, you never do for any artist. But, I will listen to more and enjoy another trip to see her again.

No comments: