Saturday 24 July 2010

King's College Cambridge

You can tell when you're near one of the colleges by the zillions of young Japanese and Spanish students which buzz around like bees around a honey pot. King's College Cambridge is one of the most famous colleges in the world so it was definitely worth queuing to see. Thankfully, my entrance fee also bought me one of those small but perfectly formed factual guide leaflets. I know that I just enjoy reading facts and figures, particularly when I think I might learn something. Of course, I rarely remember much afterwards but that doesn't bother me. If I can recall one small nugget of info when required, then I'll be happy :)
The sight of the amazing fan vault is breath-taking and yes, the fact that this vault is the largest vault of it's kind in the world, does impress me. Completed in 3 years between 1512 and 1515, it then took glaziers another 30 years to install the stained glass windows. That would never happen in the 21st century!


No comments: