Saturday 19 November 2011

I'm not for recycling... get me out of here!

Today I had my first experience with the very clever, talking recycling machine at Tescos! I seem to have accumulated quite a few bottles over recent months so decided it was time to take them to a recycling bank. I spent the morning tidying the spare bedroom and trying on every item of clothing I could find. I do have quite a few clothes and it's great fun to try ones on that I haven't worn for a while and find that some of the skinnier ones fit, yeah! Anyway, back to my recycling story :) One of our local Tescos has one of these new fangled automated recycling centres. I've noticed it when I get petrol but have never used it. Oh, my goodness, it certainly amused the hell out of me! It actually talks to you as you put items into the shute and everything was going swimmingly until it asked me to remove the little bottles which I'd put inside.


Do you find you talk back to machines that talk to you? I do! There I was talking to the machine and saying "No... !!" when a guy and his son came to use the other recycling machine. They both laughed at me! I smiled and said "It's like something out of the jungle. The door keeps closing on the shute and it's telling me to put my hand in and retrieve the two little bottles!" They were clearly amused by my dilemma! Whilst I deliberated about what to do, I could see the little bottles at the bottom of the shute and every so often, the door would close. All I could think was that if I put my hand in, the door would close and trap my hand inside!! By now, other cars were rolling up and as Mary Anne (as I've decided to call her!) was still telling me to "Remove the items and try again!" I thought, get on with it so I stuck a large bottle inside to stop the door closing and quickly pulled out the two little bottles. Apparently, as I discovered, the machine only likes one item at a time. Doh, I should have listened to Mary Anne's wise words! Despite my tricky moment, I was very impressed by this enormous machine! It's like a massive washing machine and food disposal system all rolled into one and I'm definitely returning when I've emptied a few more bottles! Mmm, time for another glass :)

No comments: