Saturday 27 September 2008

Heathcliff...

A brand new adaptation brings Emily Bronte’s passionate and spellbinding tale of forbidden love and revenge to life on stage. Set on the wild, windswept Yorkshire moors, Wuthering Heights is the tempestuous story of free-spirited Catherine and dark, brooding Heathcliff. As children running wild and free on the moors, Cathy and Heathcliff are inseparable. As they grow up their affection deepens into a passionate love, but Cathy lets her head rule her heart as she chooses to marry the wealthy Edgar Linton. Heathcliff flees broken-hearted only to return seeking terrible vengeance on those he holds responsible, with epic and tragic results... A dark and somewhat less than compelling storyline though you couldn't fault the production. The narration was very good and the characters well played, it just wasn't my favourite performance of the year. I now remember why I struggled to read this the first time around and even though seeing it on stage should make it easier to understand, it doesn't help when you miss bits. I would like to apologise now for waking everyone up when I dropped my water bottle. No excuses... and if it's any consolation, it woke me up too! He he...

No comments: