Thursday 23 September 2010

I'm a champion mattress wrestler


It's been a pretty special kinda day. The swans were having flying lessons on the lake - yes, I'm not joking. The beating of a swans wings as it takes flight is a pretty special noise. I rushed to the window as soon as I realised they were taking off only to see the three cygnets trying to take off behind them. They were beating their wings, spashing about on the water but just couldn't get off the lake and into the air. It's moments like this that make living here such a pleasure.
I recall last week Liz asked me why I hadn't chosen the ensuite as my main bedroom. I remember spending 10 minutes justifying why I've spent the past 3 years in the 2nd bedroom only to realise that many of my arguments were flawed. So today I've taken every piece of furniture out of one bedroom and moved it into the other bedroom. My guests will now sleep where I've been sleeping and I'm trying out a completely different view of the lake to see if it gives me a new perspective on life. It's the right time for it - a full moon tonight. I wasn't 100% sure last night so I tested the theory by sleeping in the spare room to see if I liked it and I did.

This morning I woke up like a woman on a mission. I dismantled my super big bed, unscrewed bits that I needn't have done but you never realise that until it's too late. I wrestled with two whopping great mattresses. Why don't mattress manufacturers make them easier to move about? They always recommend that you turn them regularly but mine are so blooming heavy I can hardly lift them. To physically lift one off the bed is pretty challenging so to move it from one room to the other too super human strength. I have emptied every drawer, dusted every crevice, hoovered the carpet to within an inch of its life and put everything that I took apart back together again. I am delighted with the results. I've bought some new throws, new bedlinen, new cushions and still need some new shades for my lamps and if I see the right one, some wardrobes for my clothes.

No comments: