Monday 27 September 2010

Is it Autumn... ?

I drove home from work this evening and I actually thought I'd missed a season. I thought it must be January not September because it was very foggy, cold and just plain horrible. I don't like to go on about the weather because it's an English obsession. It's just there and there's nothing I can do to change it. But it was horrible. It feels a zillion miles away from the 28 degrees I was enjoying in Mallorca. Fog is such disgusting weather, serves no purpose other than to make everyone drive like nellies as if they're stuck to the road with chewing gum.

As I was plodding home, all I could think about was whether the salmon I'd bought last week would still be edible. I'd already decided that I didn't want to bother going to the supermarket on the way home. First day back and all, I am feeling slightly under the weather and I just want to be at home in the warm. I always know when I'm either stressed or unwell because I can't listen to the radio without channel hopping. It doesn't help that Chris Evans is on holiday (come back soon!) and much as I can usually listen to Richard Madelin, he wasn't himself this morning. His nervousness made me nervous for him which in turn made the show much less enjoyable than it should have been. I'm sure he'll settle down and get in the groove though in a day or so. My radio 2 listening has changed dramatically since good old Terry retired. Mr Evans is brilliant and so much better than he was on drivetime. Sadly, that has meant his replacement is so much worse. I really can't listen to Mayo on any day of the week. I find his show boring and it just doesn't flow properly. I'd much prefer Chris Tarrant. I love listening in the mornings and now have to channel hop in the evenings.

So back to tonight, I admit I was looking forward to two things. One, my salmon supper and two, watching either the final boot camp XFactor selection or a repeat of Downton Abbey, which was Sunday night's must-see period drama. My salmon supper cooked with the last few spoonfuls of one of the new M&S a terribly clever shallot, thyme and parsley sauces and topped off with some creme fraiche, was delicious accompanied by roasted butternut squash, swede, sweet potato and parsnip. It's so nice to be home at a reasonable time so I'm not cooking supper at 8:30pm. I had time to browse through the ever-so-ridiculous soaps on offer tonight. Nothing much changes in 3-4 months since I last bothered to watch one and what I saw briefly didn't persuade me to come back either. I settled down to a spot of Simon Cowell and his 108 hopefuls which is easy entertainment, saving the re-run of Downton Abbey for another night.

No comments: