Thursday 30 September 2010

Romeo & Juliet

Last Friday I went to see Romeo in Magic Numbers, last night I saw a very different Romeo in Prokofiev's ballet performed by the Birmingham Royal Ballet. The lavish set was stunning, the ballet had me totally hooked and I was mesmerised for the whole of the performance. This ballet is unlike any other ballet that I've seen.


It's a beautiful but sad story of passion, family feuds and forbidden love. The choreography from the master of modern ballet, Kenneth MacMillan, was absolutely wonderful. Using ballet to tell this classic old love story with a superb but subtle blend of traditional ballet and contemporary dance made this a performance not to be missed. It was visually exciting and had lots of humour and lightness which I wasn't expecting to see in such a tragic story. The costumes, particularly of the main characters, were classic, white and beautifully plain. In contrast, the costumes of the rest of the cast were ornate and very colourful. It was a brilliant night and one that will take some beating!

No comments: