Saturday 23 April 2011

London at it's best...

This afternoon, I decided to queue for Lion King tickets and I'm so glad that I did. One hour before the performance is the best time to wait outside the box office for ticket returns. I spent a merry half hour chatting to the guy on the door who I knew wouldn't let me down. I got two tickets for the royal circle and one of the best seats in the house for me! It was a single so I had the choice of being up in the Gods or centre stalls, row J - so I chose the fabulous view - and although it very expensive, it was well worth the money.
 I must be one of few people who have never seen the film, Lion King. It has just passed me by so my recollections of the story are sketchy. I had heard some of the music and knew that the performance had had amazing reviews. I can honestly say that this show is truly brilliant. Most of the cast are wearing animal costumes which are stunningly realistic. The movement is wonderful and the special effects are better than anything I've seen so far in London. The show literally took my breath away and at times even brought a lump to my throat.
 The opening scene roared into action with the animals appearing on stage. The most impressive being the gigantic elephant which lumbered from the back of the theatre down the aisle and up onto the stage. There are masks, puppets, dancers and a whole menagerie of animals in the performance. It lacks a little bit of momentum during the second act but the special effects more than compensate for the slightly weak storyline towards the end. I thoroughly enjoyed the performance and it was a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon in London :)

No comments: