Sunday 8 January 2012

My Chinese symbol of longevity...

It’s big and leafy and it's all mine! And guess what, I managed to fit it in my car. It’s rare these days to be totally surprised when I receive a gift. It’s certainly not like being six any more when everything that happens to you seems like a big surprise. Both my children have surprised me this year with thoughtful gifts. Youngest first...

I popped around to Rich & Jess’s yesterday after spending the day with Mom, Greg and his lovely family. It was great to see little Peter and Lois again. Rich asked me to follow them home so I could collect my Christmas gift. I was quite taken aback when I stepped into their hall and there was my 7ft bamboo tree complete with monster pot. There had been some debate as to whether I'd be able to get it home in my car but I did. I drove it to Lisa's mom & dads where it has sat overnight in their hall. Then I packed it up again this morning, took it to Sainsbury's on route home and now it's in situ in my hall.
I've just discovered that bamboo plants are the fastest growing plants in the world! Given the right conditions they can grow 100cm in 24 hours... yikes!


Ha ha... my family know that I can't keep plants, it's a gift of mine. So however realistic this bamboo might be, it's not alive so even I won't be able to kill it off. I'm unsure whether this is the right place for my new ornamental bamboo tree (perhaps I'll call it Panda?!) but I think it looks pretty cool where it is right now. Perhaps it also needs twinkle lights... mmm... 

No comments: