Monday 26 January 2009

Who shrunk my shoes?!

I have spent a day wondering... they fitted when I left home. Why don't they fit anymore? I think it's the flight and the distance away from home. Every mile you fly away from home makes your feet grow so when you come to walk in those comfy shoes, all of a sudden, they're not so comfy anymore. I'm in Anaheim, California at the moment visiting a trade show.
I spent time in the press office today. That was after I managed to get into the show. They are never as organised as you think they might be. I register at home thinking I can get into the show - but "no"... they tell me I have to queue, so I do that too. When I get to the desk, they print off a label for me and I think "phew, I'm 99% there" but "no"... she looked at the badge and said "You're press, sorry. You have to go upstairs. I can't give you this badge, you have to to upstairs and get another one" then she tore it up.
I imagine, as she may have never left the States, she won't have worked out how that feels. It's the 3rd desk I've tried and I still have no badge to get in. So, I go up the very long escalator and arrive at the press office. "You don't need to queue anywhere, just come here" says the nice girl in the yellow jeans - if only they'd told me that before.. mmm.
I don't mean to moan, it's been a great day. It's just that I assume that I'm visiting and English speaking country so thing will be the same - they are definitely not the same. I should know because I've been coming long enough.. somehow though, it always surprises me just how different two English speaking countries can be. We might as well be speaking a different language at times! x

No comments: