Sunday 23 September 2012

Great food and best friends make the world go round

There I was on Saturday morning having a right mare of a day! For one, two and three different reasons, coffee, lunch and dinner had gone haywire so I was deliberating my fate and what to do with a completely free day (ahhhhh!!) when the phone rang. It was truly a EURKEA moment, most definitely! On the end of the phone was my lovely, dear friend Kevin asking if I'd like to go to the Stratford food festival with him and Evie. Me, being me, impulsive at every opportunity - I didn't need a second to think about it. I raced upstairs, got ready and headed over to his place.

Food festivals are marvellous events to go to and I can't really understand why I've never been to one before! After having such great food at Chris Evan's Carfest, it makes sense to rock up to more and enjoy the best of the best, which is absolutely non-standard supermarket food. The choice was amazing and just like a tour around Borough Market where individual small producers can show off their brilliant olives, cheeses, meats, wines, vinegars, oils, garlics, chocolate, cupcakes, brownies and more.. so much more! I have to put more of these events into my diary for 2013!


I may be on a diet but that won't stop me enjoying my food. After all, it is supposed to be educating me to a better, less fat, healthier diet and there has to be wriggle room for sweet treats if I'm going to keep this up. So yesterday was what you might call a safari picnic, starting with a drink - I had Prosecco, of course, a delicious chicken and chorizo paella and for afters, Kevin bought a box of wonderful cupcakes to eat with our coffee for dessert whilst me and Evie were mooching and buying a pretty flower ring for her hair.

Stratford remains one of my favourite places on the planet and alhough it is often extremely busy, it just wouldn't be the same if it wasn't! The sun shone for us too, yeah!


It was truly a feast for the eyes and all those wonderful delicacies tasted like food from the Gods. So all in all, it was a perfect day.

SUNDAY, today I had paperwork and work/work to finish which I still hadn't managed to get done even having spent both of Thursday and Friday evenings on it! It's almost done now thankfully. It's also been a horrid day, pouring with rain for most of it and chilly with it. I've not stopped all day so when 4:30 came around, it was too late to go and have my walk so I walked and jogged around the flat for 20 mins. Oh how funny I must have looked but I don't care. I have done all my exercises, all my stretches, a good 'indoor' run and feel all the better for it.

Thankfully, the good planning fairy had bought lots of supplies so she could cook this evening in order to feed my big, fat freezer with yummy food! Tonight's menu was chicken Provençal with green veg and what was left of my crushed celeriac and potato mash from Friday night's baking. I've sat and watched Downton Abbey (series 3 is so much better than series 2) at the same time as checking over my percentage calculations (work!) and tidying up. I now have 2 lasagnes, 4 beef bourguignon and 3 chicken Provençal in my freezer and they're all syn-free! I love cooking :)

No comments: