Wednesday 9 July 2008

The Merchant of Venice

I love the experience of going to the theatre. ! I have a lot of admiration for performers who can memorise lines as they did last night. And being able to deliver them so that we, the audience, have any chance of working out what is going on, is a true skill. Involving the audience, as they did last night, helps. As does the humour that they injected into the play. I admit, I hadn't read it. I'm not a great scholar and although I wish I'd paid more attention in English Literature, I didn't. The Merchant of Venice was brilliantly executed and the simplicity of the set, along with the drama made this a good evening. I needed to read up on the bits I missed today, but that's all part of the enjoyment of a play that stretches my understanding. Georgina Rich as Portia...

No comments: