Wednesday 22 April 2009

Jerusalem artichokes



What is slightly nutty, looks like ginger and tastes delicious? Not me, I might add! Jerusalem artichokes, of course. Did you know they are a member of the sunflower family - hence the yellow flowers?! Tuesday was HDVin night so I sampled the Jerusalem artichoke and blue cheese tart... mmm.. yum! The pastry was deliciously flaky, the artichokes slightly crunchy with a pleasant, nutty flavour and the blue cheese sauce.. what can I say? The concoction was very flavoursome. As was the braised beef which had been moulded and shaped, which sounds kinda odd, but it wasn't at all. It was tender, tasty and went really well with the whole beans and cone of chips. I didn't have any trouble getting through the cone of chips - I'd taken the chip monster with me for that very purpose! Dinner was so much fun and seemed to flash by in an instant. The highlight, apart from me, was the rhubarb dessert which was made to be shared to give equal measures of yumminess to it's recipients. I like this hotel though I have to say that the crystal chandelier, made from real crystal glasses, really does need an urgent spring clean. I can think of someone who enjoys spending a day washing his chandelier. He'd show 'em how to make it sparkle?! x

No comments: