Thursday 8 October 2009

I love my life.. and Dave, so it seems..


Yes, I know I've said that before but hey, it's true. No matter how much my feet might ache tonight, I've had a lovely week so far and that's all that matters. I was on Ginger-time all weekend and that was great. Closely followed by some London-time, which is always different, exciting, tiring and surprising. It was pouring with rain when I left home yesterday evening, bound for Art London VIP evening preview. First impressions were good, very nice venue at the Royal Hospital, Chelsea, though it was such a pity that it was raining. It would have been great to see the sculptures dotted about in the gardens and I just had to settle for a glimpse as I rushed from the taxi to the entrance under my umbrella. The taxi ride was as eventful as ever. I do find taxi drivers see so much of life that they are interesting to chat to. My chappie was full of stories of politicians who are not as discreet as they should be, enough said! Anyway back to the fair and my artistic wander.
First of all, it seemed odd not to have a catalogue to find my way around. It's a bit of a maze trying to find my favourite galleries but challenge for today was to go hunting so I took my glass of champers and weaved my way around the stands. Lots to see, lots of visitors so lots of weaving to be done!
A visit to an exhibition wouldn't be complete without catching up with the lovely Richard from Mauger Modern (nice legs, btw!) and I managed to seek him out, no problem. I saw a preview of 'There's Still Life' when I visited his gallery in Bath a couple of weeks ago. I do love the Dave White (of sneaker art fame) Pop Art pieces, having seen some of his work at Scope earlier in the year. They are very striking and the paint has the quality of whipped cream, which makes these glamour pics all the more appealing! I love the thickness of the paint and the raw, energy of these happy pieces.
I also managed to find Nick from the Woolff Gallery and it was so lovely to see the girls, Susila and Grace too. I haven't seen Grace since last year and she remembered me! Nick had managed to get hold of a Zac Freeman - OMG, what a brilliant piece of art that is. I should have taken a pic (doh!) but I got so excited about all the art that I forgot which is why I've found 'Dave' off the artist's website to illustrate what I'm going on about.

All Zac's pieces are created using found objects. I've seen the portraits online and they all look dynamic, sharp, monochrome with great texture. It's only when you get close that you notice a phone, buttons, bits of video and realise that the portrait is made up of pieces of junk. I think they're amazing and I'd have to sell a chunk of my house to own one. Having said that, they must take him a long while to create so perhaps I should just start saving right now! I think I'm in love with 'Dave'.. ! Other notable favourite was the Tatler stand. Celebrating it's 300th anniversary, there was a brilliant display of covers from the year 1709 to the present day. I was surprised that Diana didn't make it onto the wall of fame especially as the infamous 'Miss Piggy' did!

No comments: