Wednesday 12 January 2011

No ordinary Tuesday...

It's easy to amble through the week days waiting for the weekend. The result is that you end up wishing your life away but actually don't realise your doing it. Live every day, that's what I say. I'm lucky in that I have a good sparing partner to share these impromptu mid-week experiences with. I thought I was going to have a mediocre Tuesday night. I imagined I might be doing that "Buy one meal and get the other for £1!" mid-week meal deals - woo hoo.. but instead.... rahhhhhhhhhhh!!
The Montpellier Chapter!!
It's the refurbished Kandinski hotel in Cheltenham which closed a long time back and has been covered in plastic ever since. "Let's pop in for a drink" I said tonight and I'm so glad we did. The place just ooozes ambience with its trendy sofas, seriously good canvases, friendly staff and cool interior. Nothing is out of place and it felt like home should be as soon as we walked in. I knew I was there for the evening so with a Kia Royale in one hand and the menu in the other, I was in hotel heaven.
One cocktail later and I was totally hooked and not wanting to burst the bubble of anticipation, we booked a table for dinner. Lisa had been for lunch already this week so the expectations were high. Oh my Lord, I think I'm in love with the chef! Don't you feel that when you taste a meal that is truly divine, well seasoned and perfectly cooked you realise that so much of what went before was.. let's be kind.. just a bit mediocre. A beautiful meal has to look fantastic and taste delicious. As simple as roast chicken might sound, it's quite easy to get wrong. Not tonight! Everything about my meal was wonderful, as was the wine.
This quirky hotel lets you choose your wine from an ipad. How cool is that! Techie nut meets big wooden nut - yes, strange as this might sound, there's a big wooden sculpture in reception that a squirrel would give his high teeth for. It's apparently 'not cool' to have a desk on reception so there's a... NUT instead. I love quirkiness.
So what happened next.. we revelled in a spot of people watching. It's not the first time this has happened.. I spy a guy I once dated who is obviously still single and still trying, hey ho.. his date looks bored perhaps because he can't stop talking! Lesson still not learnt.. hey ho.. the couple behind us who so clearly are not together.. boringly brother and sister. People watching is so much fun..  :)
Onto dessert.. I was trying to forego the dessert menu but dinner was so wonderful that I couldn't help wondering what the desserts would be like. Well, sticky toffee is just too hard to resist so I buckled and ordered 1 sticky toffee with cream and 1 apple crumble. Both were divine and worthy of the 'Pud of the Year' award!
Needless to say, we'll be back! Me & Lisa have found ourselves a bolt hole which knocks certain other hotels and bars in Chelts into a cocked hat!

ps if anyone can come up with a plan so I can live here, that would be perfect. No rude answers please!

No comments: