Friday 7 January 2011

Today's challenge is...

What to do with the £1 aubergine that I bought today from Sainsbury's! What's your favourite dish? One of mine, and one that Ginger introduced me to, is Aubergine Parmigiana; layers of grilled aubergine and oregano infused tomato puree combined with mozzarella and parmesan cheese, yum. The wonderful Italian flavours creates a delicious supper dish and as I've only ever eaten it out, I thought I'd have a go at making it myself.
I had bought what I thought were the ingredients before I found a recipe. I love the internet because I can type 'Aubergine Pamingiana' into the search box and hey presto, lots of slightly different recipes appear on my screen. My random shopping had been pretty good because the only thing I didn't know I needed was oregano. And, guess what I found hiding in the back of my cupboard? Dried oregano, yeah!
Looking at these ingredients, it's hard to imagine they could make this wonderful dish. I left out the mushrooms though because I wanted to start by making a traditional version. There will be plenty of opportunity to create my own variations once I've mastered the art of making this wonderful dish.
Ready to go into the oven.. and half and hour later... mmm
The first thing I notice as I take it out of the oven is the sound of it bubbling.. yum! I've triumphed.. it smells delicious and looks like the masterpiece I wished it to be. Of course the proof of the pudding, or supper dish in this case, is in the eating so here's my verdict. Delicious.. great with bread because the aubergines release so much juice so make sure the sauce is well reduced so it's rich in flavour and well seasoned, otherwise it could easily taste watery. I love the chewy mozzarella on the top!

No comments: