Thursday 10 February 2011

Thursday adventures

Today has been a day of contrasts. I began the day in sunshine and spent the afternoon up in the snowy forest with a magnificent view of Mount Etna. It's a fair drive from where we're staying along the coast past Syracuse but the roads are pretty good, loads of tunnels - they build their roads quite differently to us in England. Lunch was gnocci with mozzerella, pomodoro and parmesan in a chalet-style restaurant on the side of the mountain. I'd been teased since yesterday about my observation of snow on the top of Mount Etna. "It can't be snow, ha ha" so I conceded and suggested that perhaps it was volcanic ash. Driving up the mountain it soon became clear that it was snow on the sides of the road and the road signs for putting chains on our tyres were actually real. It's not possible to get that close to the summit without hiking boots and having my "red lady shoes" on meant we could drive so far but to be honest, I wasn't happy about going any further in our little Nissan Micra!
Mount Etna was spewing out smoke and I have pics which I'll add once I return back to the UK. Big warm Sicily hugs xxx

No comments: