Saturday 19 February 2011

Today's Creative Genius


Have you heard of a sculptor named Brancusi? I hadn't until today. I opened my laptop, opened a new page and there he was. I love the fact that random bits of information are thrown at us every day on the internet. We can choose to pick them up or ignore them. Google is a amazingly strong brand and the fact that they can change the letters of their logo into images and we can still identify the word, is pretty amazing. I'd love to do that job!
Back to my "Man of the Day" Constantin Brancusi. As I've just discovered, he was a Romanian sculptor, born 1876 and lived into his 80's. I feel I should have heard his name before because his works are right up my street.
He is quoted as saying:
"My life has been a succession of marvellous events"
What a great epitaph that is! He had the gift of seeing the marvellous in everything, a gift which he used to transform even the most mundane objects into works that he hoped would inspire and leave us with a sense of awe. Of course art is subjective and one person's pleasure is another's confusion. Take a look for yourself and see whether you feel inspired or just nothing at all..

No comments: